Toenail fungus can cause a smelly and yellowish infection under your toenails that will eventually lead to the complete removal of the nail if treatment isn’t started before the infection gets out of control. Fungi thrive in warm, wet environments, which is why they love your warm, sweaty feet. Interestingly, the same fungi that cause athlete’s foot are ones that can spread under the nail, resulting in a thick, brittle, moonlike appearance and that telltale sulfur smell.
Some of the best tips for avoiding nail fungus infections include:
- Proper nail care: Always cut your nails straight across rather than close to the skin. As an added benefit, this greatly reduces the incidence of ingrown toenails.
- Cleanliness: Washing your feet regularly will help to avoid spreading the fungi. Always be careful to dry your feet completely before putting on socks and shoes.
- Breathable footwear: Lighter socks and breathable footwear made with fabrics like GORE-TEX and linen will help keep your feet cooler and therefore much drier.
- Medicated powders and lotions: Antifungal powder can be used on your feet and inside your footwear. Antifungal creams and lotions will also help heal dry skin problems such as calluses.
- Foot protection: When using public areas and facilities such as locker rooms, gyms, jujitsu parlors, and swimming areas, remember to wear sandals or shower shoes to avoid coming into contact with fungi and other microorganisms that can cause infections.
If you still develop a toenail fungus infection, offers cutting-edge laser nail therapy that can be used to clear up your nails and kill the fungus in a fast, effective procedure that shows great results in just a few sessions with zero time required for recovery.
Dr. Mark Wolpa and his team at in Berkeley and Walnut Creek, CA have the experience and technology necessary to treat your toenail fungus. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact one of our offices located in Berkeley, CA and Walnut Creek, CA.